Tens of thousands of patients who have been waiting for over a year for life–changing joint replacements are expected to be told their surgeries have been cancelled in the coming days.
It was revealed on Wednesday morning that the NHS's main supplier of bone cement – an ingredient crucial to the procedure – has suffered a 'critical machine failure', resulting in a global shortage.
There is now just one week of supply left. Currently, there are 850,000 patients in England waiting for joint replacement surgery.
Hospitals have been instructed to prioritise emergency cases and cancel appointments of patients who are scheduled for surgery over the next two months.
However, experts have warned it is currently unclear when the issue will be resolved. Some have even said the disruption will lead to an extensive 'Covid-era' backlog of procedures.
Now the Daily Mail's interactive map can reveal the hospitals likely to be hit worst by the shortage due to existing long waits for joint replacement operations.
Mid and South Essex NHS Foundation Trust currently has the most patients waiting for knee and hip operations, with more than 19,100 patients waiting to start treatment.
Kettering General Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, which covers five hospitals including Isebrook Hospital and Market Harborough District Hospital, has the shortest waiting list with just over 1,860 patients waiting for a procedure.
On Tuesday, health officials led by the British Orthopaedic Directors Society and British Orthopaedic Association said the thousand emergency trauma operations per week that require bone cement should be prioritised.
This will see elderly patients who have suffered a hip fracture pushed to the top of the list, despite 22,000 patients having waited longer than a year for surgery.
Daily Mail analysis of figures released by the UK's National Joint Registers (NJR) reveals that around 200,000 first time knee and hip procedures used bone cement in 2024 alone.
Cancellations and long waiting lists normally mean many patients decide to pay for private treatment.
However, private sector operators have been told the NHS plans to suspend their access to bone cement 'where not clinically urgent'.
Bone cement, which is used to secure the replacement joint in place and get patients back to normal life quicker, is used in the majority of the 250,000 procedures carried out each year.
But Heraeus, one of the world's major suppliers and the NHS's preferred choice, has said there will be a 'supply shortage for at least the next two months', after the firm suffered a machine failure s.
It means close to a million patients waiting for joint surgery now face further delays on the NHS, with those living in areas with the shortest waiting lists likely to receive life–changing treatment sooner.
Officials have reportedly acknowledged the 'seriousness of the shortage and the likely need to restrict activity to trauma and urgent cases'.
The crucial ingredient is thought to be used in more than 80 per cent of knee replacements and almost 60 per cent of hip replacements – which equates to around 15,000 operations every month.
But this will not be possible with the current shortage, labelled a 'crushing blow' by Arthritis UK.
Research spearheaded by the University of Bristol last year revealed that each knee replacement operation cancelled at short notice costs the NHS between £6,500 and £11,000 – forecasted to cost the health service tens of millions a year.
According to The Telegraph, leaders added that 'competitor cement availability is limited', as health services struggle to get on on top of record backlogs after delays caused by the pandemic and funding cuts earlier this year.
Dr Alex Dickinson, Professor of Prosthetics Engineering at the University of Southampton, said: 'There are other manufacturers of bone cement, but there is not an alternative material that could just be substituted.
'Implant engineering at its best is a very cautious and gradual process. Any new technology potentially carries risks to the patient, and we must go through very thorough development work to try and minimise these risks.
'It also takes years of follow–up to see the long–term outcomes of new technologies.'
Fergal Monsell, the president of the BOA, added the association was working to 'reduce the impact on patients', but that it was 'a situation that is beyond the control of trauma and orthopaedic surgeons and NHS organisations'.
He said: 'NHS trusts have also been advised to utilise the released theatre time to treat orthopaedic patients where procedures do not require the use of cement.'
Dr Mark Wilkinson, a surgeon and professor of orthopaedics at the University of Sheffield, told the Daily Mail that the whole of UK can expect to face disruptions, with the shortage expected to add 'at least two months to NHS waiting lists'.
He said: 'There isn’t a magic wand for this problem. You can almost think of it like another Covid. The affect will be the same until the cement becomes available.
'Every two month delay – which is a best case scenario – will add at least 10,000 hip and 20,000 knee replacements to existing waiting lists.
'And I think that's a best case scenario. It could be much longer. Only 18 per cent of procedures utilise other types of cement and alternative suppliers are going to struggle to keep up with the demand.
'But we don't have time to wait. The problem is now.'