
President Donald Trump said Monday he is calling off a plan to attack Iran on Tuesday after the heads of three regional powers in the Middle East asked him to "hold off."
Trump, in a Truth Social post, said he has informed U.S. military leaders "that we will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow" in light of the requests from Qatari Emir Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and United Arab Emirates President Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan.
There had been no clear indication prior to Trump's post that the U.S. was preparing to strike Iran on Tuesday, officially scrapping its tattered ceasefire with Iran. Trump had told the New York Post in an interview earlier Monday that Iran knows "what's going to be happening soon," though he declined to provide details.
Trump was considering resuming active military operations after Tehran's latest response in ongoing negotiations over a deal to end the war was deemed insufficient, Axios reported.
The president claimed in Monday's post that the three regional leaders had asked for the planned attack to be postponed "in that serious negotiations are now taking place, and that, in their opinion, as Great Leaders and Allies, a Deal will be made, which will be very acceptable to the United States of America, as well as all Countries in the Middle East, and beyond."
"This Deal will include, importantly, NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN!" Trump wrote.
The president said he told Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Dan Caine that while Tuesday's attack is off, they should "be prepared to go forward with a full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment's notice, in the event that an acceptable Deal is not reached."
Hegseth traveled to Kentucky on Monday to attend a political event with a Republican House candidate challenging incumbent GOP Rep. Thomas Massie, whom Trump wants to kick out of Congress.
The U.S. and Iran are locked in a sort of military and economic stalemate centered on the Strait of Hormuz, the vital global oil-shipping route that has been beset by dueling blockades amid the war, preventing most ships from passing through.
The battle to control the strait has deeply frayed an already shaky ceasefire, which began nearly six weeks earlier is nominally still in effect — though it has repeatedly been punctured by fighting, and Trump last week said it's on "life support."